THE NJ GUIDE
ZOOS & AQUARIUMS
PLACES NEAR ME
Washington Crossing State Historic Park
On December 25, 1776, the icy waters of the Delaware River provided the setting for one of the pivotal events of the American Revolution. The Continental General George Washington and the Continental Army landed at Johnson’s Ferry, at the site now known as Washington Crossing State Park and began their march to Trenton where they defeated the Hessian troops in an unexpected attack.
New Jersey State House
The New Jersey State House is located in Trenton and is the capitol building for the U.S. state of New Jersey. Built in 1790, it is the third-oldest state house in continuous legislative use in the United States
Allaire State Park Historic Village
One of the Premier Living History Museums in New Jersey. The Historic Village at Allaire was once an iron-producing, factory-town known as the Howell Iron Works, Co. The Village was a self-sufficient community containing a carpentry and pattern making shop, a blacksmith shop, a bakery, a boarding house, a blast furnace, mills to finish iron products, a school, a church, a general store with a post office, and workers’ home.
Empty Sky Memorial
Empty Sky is the official New Jersey September 11 memorial to the state's victims of the September 11 attacks on the United States. It is located in Liberty State Park in Jersey City at the mouth of Hudson River across from the World Trade Center site.
Monmouth Battlefield State Park
One of the largest battles of the American Revolution took place in the fields and forests that now make up Monmouth Battlefield State Park. The park preserves a splendid rural 18th-century landscape of hilly farmland and hedgerows that encompasses miles of hiking and horseback riding trails, picnic areas, a restored Revolutionary War farmhouse and a visitors center.
Thomas Edison National Historical Park
Thomas Edison National Historical Park encompasses two sites – the Laboratory Complex and the Glenmont Estate, former home to Thomas and Mina Edison. Together, the laboratory and residence preserve the work and character of America's foremost inventor,
Paterson Great Falls
Join a tour and discover the greater story behind Paterson and its Great Falls. Our story is one of national importance. Discover how the natural world inspired a founding father, entrepeneurs, immigrants, poets, and artists to build the nation's first planned industrial city and changed the world.
Battleship New Jersey
At the Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial not only do you see exhibits of artifacts from the ship’s past, but you are put into the exhibit as you go through the tour route. Sit in the chair from which Admiral Halsey commanded the fleet. Stretch out on the bunks where the sailors slept. Climb into the 16” gun turret and learn how the projectiles were loaded.
The Palace of Depression
The Palace of Depression was a building made of junk that was located in Vineland, New Jersey, built by the eccentric and mustachioed George Daynor, a former Alaska gold miner who lost his fortune in the Wall Street Crash of 1929
East Point Lighthouse
The East Point Light, known as the Maurice River Light before 1913, is a lighthouse located in Heislerville, New Jersey on the Delaware Bay at the mouth of the Maurice River in Maurice River Township, Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States.
Abbott Farm Historic District
The Abbott Farm Historic District is a National Historic Landmark archeological site in New Jersey. It is the largest known Middle Woodland village of its type on the East Coast of the United States. Significant evidence suggests that the Delaware River floodplain was occupied by Paleoindian people for a long period.
Atlantic CIty Convention Hall
Boardwalk Hall, formerly known as the Historic Atlantic City Convention Hall, is an arena in Atlantic City, Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. It was Atlantic City's primary convention center until the opening of the Atlantic City Convention Center in 1997
John Ballantine House
The John Ballantine House was the home of Jeannette Boyd and John Holme Ballantine. John was the son of Peter Ballantine, founder of the Ballantine beer brewery, and became president of the family business in 1883 after his father died. Ballantine died in 1895 of throat cancer.
Pietro Botto House
The Pietro and Maria Botto House, also known as Pietro Botto House, at 83 Norwood Street, Haledon in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States, is where leaders of the Industrial Workers of the World union spoke to the 15,000 striking workers of the Paterson Silk Strike of 1913.
Boxwood Hall State Historic Site, located at 1073 East Jersey street in Elizabeth, New Jersey, is a five bay middle-Georgian wooden structure with a tripartite Palladian window. In its original configuration ca. 1750 the house had two wings bringing the number of rooms to eighteen.
Burlington County Prison Museum
The Burlington County Prison operated from 1811 through 1965 in Mount Holly Township, Burlington County, New Jersey, United States. It was designed with prisoner rehabilitation in mind.
Cape May Historic District
The Cape May Historic District is an area of 380 acres with over 600 buildings in the resort town of Cape May, Cape May County, New Jersey.
Westland - Home of President Grover Cleveland
Westland Mansion was the home of Grover Cleveland, the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, from his retirement in 1897 until his death in 1908. The house is located in the historic district of Princeton, New Jersey, and is a National Historic Landmark also known as the Grover Cleveland Home.
Craftsman Farms was founded in 1908 in Parsippany-Troy Hills, Morris County, New Jersey, United States, by noted early 20th century designer Gustav Stickley as a farm and school for the Arts and Crafts movement. It remained in use until 1915 when it was sold to a family and became a private house.
Albert Einstein Home
The Albert Einstein House at 112 Mercer Street in Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States was the home of Albert Einstein from 1935 until his death in 1955. His wife Elsa Einstein died in 1936 while living in this house.
Fort Hancock is a former United States Army fort at Sandy Hook in Middletown Township New Jersey. The coastal artillery base defended the Atlantic coast and the entrance to New York Harbor, with its first gun batteries operational in 1896.
T. Thomas Fortune House
The T. Thomas Fortune House, also known as Maple Hall, located in Red Bank, Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, was the home of Timothy Thomas Fortune, a leading journalist and civil rights advocate. The house was named a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
Hadrosaurus Foulki Leidy Site
Hadrosaurus Foulkii Leidy Site in Haddonfield, Camden County, New Jersey, United States, is where the first relatively complete set of dinosaur bones were discovered in 1838, and then fully excavated by William Parker Foulke in 1858. The dinosaur was later named Hadrosaurus foulkii by Joseph Leidy.
Joseph Henry House
The Joseph Henry House is a historic building located on the campus of Princeton University.
The Hermitage is a historic house museum and National Historic Landmark that encompasses over 250 years of American history. The museum is maintained by the Friends of the Hermitage Inc., a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1971. Visitors to the Hermitage Museum can tour the historic house, view different exhibitions of the collections, and take part in a range of educational and public programming.
Hinchliffe Stadium is a 10,000-seat stadium located in Paterson, New Jersey, USA. The venue was completed in 1932 and sits on a dramatic escarpment above Paterson's National Historic Landmark Great Falls, and surrounded by the city's National Landmark Historic District, the first planned industrial settlement in the nation (chartered 1792). It is one of only a handful of stadiums surviving nationally that once played host to significant Negro league baseball during America's Jim Crow era. The stadium was designated a National Historic Landmark in March 2013 and a Paterson Historic Landmark in May 2013. In December 2014 legislation passed in the United States Congress to in include the stadium in the Great Falls National Landmark District.
Francis Hopkinson House
The Francis Hopkinson House is an historic home in Bordentown, Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, where Francis Hopkinson and his wife Ann Borden lived from 1774 until his death in 1791. Francis Hopkinson designed the first official flag of the United States.
Holmdel Horn Antenna
The Holmdel Horn Antenna is a large microwave horn antenna that was used as a satellite communication antenna and radio telescope during the 1960s at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Holmdel Township, New Jersey, United States.
The Lawrenceville School
The Lawrenceville School is a coeducational, independent college preparatory boarding school for students in ninth through twelfth grades including a post-graduate year as well. The school is located on 700 acres in the historic Lawrenceville section of Lawrence, in Mercer County, New Jersey, United States.
Lucy the Elephant
Originally named Elephant Bazaar, Lucy the Elephant was built by a real estate speculator who owned a great many parcels of land at the Jersey Shore. In order to attract visitors and potential buyers, James V. Lafferty built a six-story, elephant-shaped building as a novelty amusement. He patented his idea, ensuring that his structure would remain a unique piece of architecture. Eventually a popular hotel business was built around the structure. Presidents and royalty came from around the world to stay at the neighboring Elephant Hotel and climb the winding stairs up to Lucy’s howdah.
Maybury Hill, located at 346 Snowden Lane, in Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States, is the boyhood home of Joseph Hewes. He later moved to North Carolina and was a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence for that state. This is the only remaining building with a connection to Hewes.
Morven Museum & Garden
Morven, known officially as Morven Museum & Garden, is a historic 18th-century house at 55 Stockton Street in Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States. It served as the governor's mansion for nearly four decades in the twentieth century, and has been designated a National Historic Landmark.
Nassau Hall is the oldest building at Princeton University in Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States. At the time it was built in 1756, Nassau Hall was the largest building in colonial New Jersey and the largest academic building in all the American colonies
Thomas Nast Home
The Thomas Nast Home, also known as Villa Fontana, was the home of German born Thomas Nast in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey, United States. He was a editorial cartoonist whose drawings in Harpers Weekly contributed to the downfall of Tammany Hall.
Twin Lights State Historic Site
The Twin Lights Historical Society is dedicated to preserving New Jersey's foremost lighthouse and museum. The lighthouse, historically known as the Navesink Light Attendants Station, is now a National Historic Landmark.
Abel and Mary Nicholson House
The Abel and Mary Nicholson House is brick house built in 1722 in Salem, New Jersey, United States. It is an excellent example of a Delaware Valley patterned brick building. The vitrified bricks form geometric designs and highlight the year of construction. The building has not been significantly altered since it was built and has been receiving grants to help preserve it.
Old Barracks Museum
The Old Barracks was built in 1758 during the French and Indian War. In 1776, it was a witness to the turning point of the American Revolution, when George Washington and 2400 Patriots defeated British and Hessian soldiers at the Battle of Trenton.
Old Queens is the oldest extant building at Rutgers University and is the symbolic heart of the university's campus in New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey in the United States. Rutgers, the Eighth-oldest college in the United States, was founded in 1766 during the American colonial period as Queen's College a decade before the start of American Revolution.
Palisades Interstate Park
The Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey is about twelve miles long and half a mile wide, containing 2,500 acres of wild Hudson River shorefront, uplands, and cliffs.
Alice Paul Institute
Paulsdale, in Mount Laurel Township, New Jersey, was the birthplace and childhood home of Alice Paul, a major leader in the Women's suffrage movement in the United States. Paulsdale was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1991. The Paul family purchased 173 acres and the 1840 farmhouse around 1883
The President's House, also known as the John Maclean House, or simply the Maclean House, in Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States, was built to serve as the home of the President of the College of New Jersey, which later became Princeton University.
Princeton Battle Monument
The Princeton Battle Monument is located in Princeton, New Jersey, adjacent to Morven and Princeton's borough hall. The Monument commemorates the January 3, 1777 Battle of Princeton, and depicts General George Washington leading his troops to victory and the death of General Hugh Mercer.
Prospect House & Garden
When Prospect was acquired in 1849 by John Potter, a wealthy merchant from Charleston,
Red Bank Battlefield Park
Red Bank Battlefield Park is open year round sunrise to sunset, except Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Ringwood Manor is a National Historic Landmark District, having historical importance spanning from Native American occupation through the early 20th century. The surrounding Ramapo Mountains' rich magnetite iron deposits made the area a major iron supplier and became the home to a succession of ironmasters for over two hundred years. During the Gilded Age, Ringwood Manor became a large summer estate for partners Peter Cooper and Abram S. Hewitt and their families. In 1938, the house, its contents, and the surrounding property were donated by the family to the State of New Jersey as a museum and a state park. With original historical structures, gardens, and landscapes on 582 acres and extensive historical collections illustrative of family life, community, industry and culture, Ringwood Manor is a unique repository of American history.
The Sandy Hook Lighthouse
The Sandy Hook Lighthouse, located about one and a half statute miles inland from the tip of Sandy Hook, New Jersey, is the oldest working lighthouse in the United States. It was designed and built on June 11, 1764 by Isaac Conro. At that time, it stood only 500 feet from the tip of Sandy Hook; however, today, due to growth caused by littoral drift, it is almost one and a half miles inland from the tip.
Sea Bright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club
Founded in 1877, Seabright Lawn Tennis and Cricket Club is one of the oldest active tennis clubs and the oldest lawn tennis club and cricket club in the United States. Located in Rumson, New Jersey, the club features 16 lawn tennis courts, 15 Har-Tru courts, 1 hard court and 4 platform tennis courts. Seabright Lawn Tennis & Cricket Club has a strong active membership who shares the love of tennis and the appreciation of its history and traditions.
It was built in 1927 for Hubert T. Parsons, president of the F.W. Woolworth Company. Parsons was financially ruined by the Great Depression and the house was sold in 1939 for $100. Now called Woodrow Wilson Hall, it became part of Monmouth University in 1956.